Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to participate in Batumi International Summer School "Constitutional Democracy: Modern Challenges" will take place from August 18 to 24, 2019 in Batumi, Georgia at the Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University campus.
The Summer School is funded by the 2019 seasonal sub-program of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport of Adjara Autonomous Republic and organized in collaboration with Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University, Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuania) and co-funded by the International Institute for Academic Development.
Summer school is the International Summer program on Constitutional Democracy organized in Batumi. The goal of the summer school is to develop professional knowledge of the law school students in constitutional law, particularly important institutions of constitutional democracy, promote mobility of foreign students in Georgia, deepening cooperation between students and professors.
The summer school programme includes the following topics:
- Constitutional democracy in Europe and USA;
- Constitution, limitation of power and democracy;
- Constitution and human rights;
- President, Parliament, Government in constitutional democracy;
- Federalism, Unitary state, Regionalism and Autonomy;
- Theory of democracy and constitutional justice;
- Constitutional identity;
- Unconstitutional constitutional amendments;
- International law and constitutional law;
- Theory of American Constitutional Law;
- President and American Constitutional Law;
- Interpretation of the Constitution: Principles and Methodology;
- Constitutional populism;
- Constitutional protection mechanisms and strategies;
- The Constitution of Georgia, adopted on 21 February 1921
- USA Supreme Court in American law and politics;
- Constitutional amendments: Making, Breaking, and Changing Constitutions;
- Constitutional democracy in crisis and constitutional court.
The programme of the 2019 Batumi International Summer School: "Constitutional Democracy: Modern Challenges" will consist of lectures of the keynote speakers and guest lecturers, as well as seminars, group discussions on selected topics relating to the constitutional democracy.
The summer school will be held at the Batumi School of Shota Rustaveli State University campus in Batumi. Students of the summer school will be accommodated in the Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University Students' guest house.
Faculty invited for the Summer school:
Prof. Richard Albert, William Stamps Farish Professor in Law, the University of Texas at Austin, School of Law, USA
Prof. David Schultz, Hamline University, Department of Political Science, USA
Prof. Toma Birmontiene, Mykolas Romeris University, Faculty of Law, Former judge of the Constitutional Court, Lithuania
Prof. Anita Rodina, Dean of Faculty of Law, University of Latvia, Latvia
Assoc. Prof. Malkhaz Nakashidze, Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University, Summer school project director, Georgia
Working language: English.
The total participation fee is EURO 100 covering course costs, tuition, accommodation, breakfast, lunch and social event/sightseeing). Travel arrangements have to be made and paid by participants.
The requirements for participation in the summer school:
- must be a undergraduate or graduate law student;
- Knowledge of English language (B2).
Interested students have to submit the following documents in English:
- CV (resume);
- Cover letter (not more than 250 words);
Deadline for registration: July 20, 2019
Please send your CV and motivation letter at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of participants: 20 students will be selected
Only selected candidates will be contacted after reviewing of submitted applications no later than July 25, 2019
For more detail please contact: email@example.comAnnex