Name and Surname: Marine Giorgadze
Academic Position: Professor
Address: Apt. 22, #68 26 Maisis Street, Batumi 6010, Georgia
Date of Birth: 02.04. 1959
Tel.: 599 56 36 49
Academic fields of Interest:
Classical Philology, Byzantine Studies, Greek-Georgian Relations, Folklore
University Position: Professor
Qualification/Academic Degree: Philologist, Teacher of Georgian Language and Literature (equaled with MA)
Education field, direction: Philology, Classical Philology
Date of Issue: 30.06.1982
Organization issuing Diploma: Tbilisi Ivane Javakhishvili State University
Qualification/Academic Degree: Candidate of Sciences (Equaled with PhD academic degree)
Dissertation Topic: “Georgian Spring Ritual Poetry”
Education field, direction: Philology
Diploma No. ФЛ ~ 012921
Date of Issue: 16.06.1989
Organization issuing Diploma: ВАК (Higher Attestation Committee)
2013 (October) – Present elected as the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, BSU
2010 – 2013 Head of the Department of European Studies, BSU
2007 – 2010 Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, RSU
2007 – Present Program Leader in Classical Philology, Byzantine Studies, Modern Greek Studies
2006 Dean of the RSU Faculty of Humanities and Pedagogy
2004 Acting Dean of the BSU Faculty of Western European Languages and Literature
1996 Docent at the BSU Chair of Georgian Language in the direction of Classical Philology; Coordinator of the specialty of Modern Greek language and Literature
1996 Docent at the BSU Chair of French Philology
1993 Docent at the BSU Chair of Foreign Languages and Literature
1992 Teacher at the BSU Chair of Foreign Languages and Literature
1990 Visiting Teacher at Batumi Shota Rustaveli State University
1983-2006 Niko Berdzenishvili Research Institute of the Georgian Academy of Sciences: Lab Assistant (1983), Post-Graduate Student (1983-1986), Junior Researcher (1986-1990), Researcher (1990), Senior Researcher (1990-2006).
1. Themes of Aristide’s Apology in Georgian Hagiographic Literature, in “Byzantine Studies in Georgia”, “Logos”, Tbilisi, 2007, pp. 228-298
2. „Reception of II Century Greek Apologetics in Old Georgian Literature“. PHASIS, Greek and Roman Studies, v.11, 2008. Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Institute of Classical, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, “Logos”, Tbilisi, 2008
3. “Apologetics – One of the Oldest Genres of Christian Literature”, in “Byzantine Studies in Georgia-2” (2 volumes), editor and one of the authors of the 2-volume edition; Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Institute of Classical, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, “Logos”, Tbilisi, 2009, pp. 166-177
4. Anthology of Antique Literature, III, Rome: Lives of Twelve Caesars, Translation and commentaries by Marina Giorgadze; Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Institute of Classical, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, “Logos”, Tbilisi, 2009
5. Apologetic Motif – Teaching on Three Faiths and Its Reception in Georgian Hagiography”, Proceedings of the International Conference “Byzantine Studies in Georgia – 3”, Tbilisi, “Logos”, 2009, pp. 28-29
6. “Loci Communes in the Works of Ancient Greek Apologists”, Proceedings of the International Conference “Humanities in Information Society”, I, Shota Rustaveli State University Press, 2010, pp. 231-234
7. “Bible as Source and Influence”, Proceedings of the International Conference “Humanities in Information Society”, I, Shota Rustaveli State University Press, 2010, pp. 231-234
8. Gaius Suetonius Tranquilus, Lives of Twelve Caesars, Translated from Latin by Marina Giorgadze, Tbilisi, 2011
9. Наследие Средиземноморья и идентификация Черноморского региона, Innovative Aspects of Study nof the Black Sea Countries Culture, History, Anthropology, Literature and Linguistics, II, Blagoevgrad-Batumi, 2011,стр. 32-36.
10. History of Pontic Greeks Settlement in Batumi – Batumi, Past and Present (Proceedings), II, Batumi, 2012, pp. 122-132
11. Translation of Roman Position Terms into Georgian, II International Conference in Lexicography, Batumi, 2012, pp. 65-66
12. Reception of Greek Apologetic in old Georgian Literature – Proceedings of the 22nd International Congress of byzantine Studies, v.III, 169, Sofia, 2012
13. Regarding the Issue of Pontic Greeks’ Folk Heritage in Batumi and Its Vicinities- Batumi, Past and Present, Proceedings of the International Conference, Batumi, 2013, p.305-314
14. Egerias’s Trevels,- International Conference:”Byzantine Studies in Georgia-4”, Tbilisi-Batumi-Cappadocia (in print).
15. LaVie d’Adam et Ève – apocryphe géorgienne – Quatrième colloque international sur les littératures apocryphes juive et chrétienne – La Vie d’Adam et Ève et les traditions adamiques — Lausanne – Genève, 2014 (in print).
Participation in International Forums
1. ”On the Ancient Beliefs of the Colchis population (Bull Worship)”, 2nd International Congress of Eurasian Archeology, East Anatolian and Caucasian Bronze Age Cultures 1-5 March 2010. Tire, Izmir, Turkey
2. ”Greeks in Batumi Region – Intercultural Dialogue Across Centuries”, International Conference “Batumi-Spring-2010“, Batumi, 7-9 May, 2010
3. ”The Colchis Black Sea Littoral in the Archaic and Classical Periods (According to the Ancient Greek Literary Sources and Archaeological Materials)”, 3rd International Institute of Ancient Hellenic History “Sosipolis”. 25-30 May 2010 Olympia-Pyrgos, Greece.
4. ”Mediterranean Heritage and Black Sea Region Identity”, International Conference: Culture &Tourism, Euro-Mediterranean Intercultural Bridges, 8-9 July, 2010, Izmir
5. ”The Role of Classical (Greek-Roman) Tradition in the Black Sea Regional Identity”, 2nd International Conference: Innovative Aspects of Study of the Black Sea Countries Culture, History, Anthropology, Literature and Linguistics, Batumi, 1-3 July, 2010
6. „Reception of Greek Apologetic Themes in Old Georgian Literature“, 2nd International Congress of Byzantine Studies, Sofia, 22-27 August 2011, Sofia, 2011
7. Black Sea Region Identity: Mediterranean Heritage and Future – XII Forum: Communication and Entrepreneurship, Greece; General Theme: Heritage and Mediterranean Common Future, Greece, CHANIA - CRETE 23/24 November 2012
8. “Egeria’s Travels”- International Conference:”Byzantine Studies in Georgia-4”, Tbilisi-Batumi-Cappadocia, 24-30, September, 2013.
9. Regarding the Issue of Pontic Greeks’ Folk Heritage in Batumi and Its Vicinities,- Batumi, Past and Present, Proceedings of the International Conference, Batumi, 1-2 September, 2013.
10. La Vie d’Adam et Ève – apocryphe géorgienne,- Quatrième colloque international sur les littératures apocryphes juive et chrétienne-La Vie d’Adam et Ève et les traditions adamiques — Lausanne – Genève, 7-10 Janvier 2014
Trainings and Grants:
1. EUA Training: Bologna Promoters’ Training Seminar on Quality Assurance in Europe, 22-23 November, 2006, Munich, Germany
2. EUA Training: Doctoral Programmes in Europe, 7–9 December, 2006, Nice, France.
3. Training: “Issues of Quality Assurance and Management in HEI System” (Georgia – Latvia), RSU, 2007
4. On the Curriculum Structural Model on Bachelor’s Level, International Conference, June 28-29, Batumi, 2010.
5. Bologna Process, European Construction, European Neighborhood Policies.
6. Certificate for participating in training: Languages in Globalization Era and Foreign Language Online Teaching Modules”,- FIPL, MAG, Batumi, 9-10 November, 2012
7. Batumi International Summer School on Language Documentation and Kartvelology, Batumi, 2012
8. USA Congress Library Grant: Open World Program-Higher Education Administration / Innovation, April-May, 2012.
9. Conference -“Inspiring and Empowering Teachers of English” (ELF/ETAG)-2013. Certificate of Completion
Languages Georgian (native), Russian (fluent), French (fluent), English (good), German (fair)