• Study of epidemiology of cereal rusts and powdery mildews in different geographic zones of Georgia;
• Survey of virulence of wheat rust fungi in Georgia;
• Identification of virulence structure of wheat and barley powdery mildews;
• Maintain and develop a collection of pathotypes of cereal rusts;
• Testing of local and introduced breeding material under natural and artificial infection of the major pathogens and identifying sources of resistance;
• Development of immunogenetic methods for rusts control of cereals;
• Maintaining a differential set of cereal varieties and lines for identification of phytopathogenic fungal races.